August 19, 2013

Home Alone: Lost in New York...


The week that was...



"Le Carrousel"
Bryant Park/New York City
August 12 - August 19, 2013
Project 52 (33/52)



Since Thing #1 has taken up temporary residence with us until he gets married next year, and Thing #3 has permanent residence for a couple more years...let's just say the five films in the Home Alone movie series greatly outnumber my reality.  So you have to understand the magnitude of two rare occurrences happening this past weekend:  some downright gorgeous fall-like temps with zero humidity ensconced the east coast in freakin' AUGUST, and our Things were nowhere to be found.  Okay, okay, I'm a pretty darn good mom so I KNEW where they were, and they were some place other than home.  So it was kinda fun to wake up and say to the Better Half, "I've got a great idea, let's go to New York City for the day."  No plans, no nuthin'.  Let's just go.  The Better Half totally lucked out...I could have said Paris.

This empty nest thing sans Things?  Could grow to like it, just sayin'.   So after the GPS decided to 'be confusing' (the Better Half's explanation for his missing a few turns, you KNOW I couldn't let that drop) we finally arrived at the train station, boarded the train, and a little over an hour later we were in the Big Apple.  Remind me why I don't do this more often?  Oh yeah...Things.  

A very quick subway ride later we emerged into the sunlight at Ground Zero and the 9/11 Memorial.  A site I've longed to experience in person for quite awhile.  More on this to come later in the week.  Still trying to process the whole experience both emotionally and photographically.  The rest of the day was spent just wandering, eating, people watching, photographing...all sans plans.  And I realized something I've probably known all along...I really SHOULD be living in a big city.  I am so "at home" in this environment with the hustle, bustle, noise and energy.  Who knows, maybe when "Home Alone" becomes more permanent I'll drag the Better Half to yet another place to live.  Would be interesting since he's so NOT a big city person.  Yes, we are a real life "Green Acres" couple...

"New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue."


Did I just totally date myself?  Doesn't matter, I SHOULD be old enough to be left home alone more often.  Seriously, I can handle it.  I don't want to wish any time away, I AM old enough to understand it passes all too quickly just by it's darn self.  But until that time comes on it's own, I will just have to fit in some practice runs...and not blame the GPS for unplanned detours.







Please join me on Sundays for Song-ography.
This week's song title is Frank Sinatra's "The Summer Wind".

16 comments:

  1. We are in love with our "things" AND totally-completely in love with this Home Alone stuff! It's wonderful! Not to say I don't get knocked down by nostalgia every so often, but over all...it's pretty darn good! Your instagrams of the 9/11 memorial visit were moving...can't wait to see what you share as you process. We lived right in Boston for the first 3 years of our marriage, then Paris for 12....I got 15 city years...probably all I'm going to get out of my country boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green Acres..definitely dating...but I'm right there with ya! I adore NYC, and could live there in a heartbeat. I sublet in Long Island City 10 years ago for the summer and was in hog heaven. Went back for the memorial last summer and it was surreal. It was a lovely memorial, and yet part of me struggles with seeing people walk around posing and smiling in images. There were some that seemed so far removed from the reality of it all. Then there was an older man who came out wiping away tears. I kind of felt his response was the right response...but not my place to judge responses...you know? Part of me felt like we had no right to be milling about there, and another part thankful to pay respects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, "Green Acres" dates you a bit, but I know the song and the show, so it dates me, too! I love the idea of an unplanned trip like that. It has been years since I've been to NYC. I would love to see the memorial, though I'm sure it's an emotionally draining experience. My husband and I don't have "things" to worry about, but we do have two cats, one elderly, that are hard to leave for long. So we haven't been on any long trips for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE my empty nest, I down right love it!! We have so much freedom!

    I don't "love" the city, I want to but I just don't!! Too crowded for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds heavenly. We are getting closer and closer to Home Alone and have decided it is time to figure out what we're going to do with ourselves when that time comes as it seems there is has been a third (and fourth) wheel for so many years. Some road trips just for fun sounds like a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was stalking you on on Instagram this weekend - you made me long to see the 9/11 Memorial even more! But Dream Boy is SO anti NYC, that I'm not sure if/when it will ever happen. I can handle a day visit to the big city, but give me green acres any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh & that empty nest thing - it IS all it's cracked up to be!!!

      Delete
  7. What a terrific post! I love it! Coming up on the empty nest here, too. Last/3rd "thing" going off to college next weekend. Better half of 26 years, and I have different ideas about the empty nest thing, though. I want to do more "me" things, and he wants more of "me"...hmmm...Wonder how this is going to work??? As for the BIG APPLE...nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!!! Oh no, give me the mountains and farms and woodlands of the Hudson Valley everyday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't the memorial gorgeous! We were there last Thanksgiving. Just so well done. Next time stay on the train, though, and come to Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now wouldn't that be lovely!!! You moving to the big city!!! Your day out sounds spectacular!!! The weather was a bonus for sure!! Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...I remember hopping the train. I used to do it a few times a year. Usually to see a matinee at the "super bowl" of musical theater. Looks like a lovely day, and yes you should do it more often. As for living there, it seems like a great idea when you're there and then I used to think, but you can never have any space entirely to yourself for a quiet walk-at least safely. Green Acres. Yup, you gotta watch that one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this photo! So fun that you were able to take a trip to the big apple. I've only been once for a very brief period, but I hope to visit for a little bit longer someday. I am a country girl, but I do enjoy visiting cities every once in a while and getting a taste of the hustle and bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While the comparison is kind of not the same being that New York appears like an amazing entity in itself, I live a similar travel distance from Sydney and when we go there we think the why-don't-we-do-this-more-often thoughts as well. Seeing as ,in my opinion, you have such a great skill in street/building/people captures just like the one above I'm really looking forward to looking at more that you mentioned you may share this week. So pleased you had an enjoyable day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to live in the city too and am quite pleased that it is just an hour away sans traffic. But to trust that instinct and hie away without plans and just let go is truly liberating ;-) and the best part: you can always hie back home at the end of the day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're heading to NYC Sep 3 and have tickets for 9/11 memorial on Sep 4. Can't wait!!!
    I am also a real city girl, love all the hustle and bustle!!!!

    ReplyDelete